Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Compost Happens

Whoa, sorry about the pause there! It's been busy while I try to do everything before our Texas trip. Not only are there things to do for the trip itself, but everything we want to do before the onset of winter should also be done before the trip (well, except firewood, which we may or may not be able to get at all because, once again, we slacked off on getting that done early). For instance, we bought about 100 bulbs and planted them in a newly made bed with compost we made over the past year! We got some beautiful tulips, daffodils, hyacinth, crocus, and muscari. Hopefully, the deer and moles and other digging creatures will stay away. I guess I don't have to worry about the daffodils, but we have mostly tulips. I love tulips. I am so tickled by the compost; that it actually worked. Actually, it worked but there were still egg shells and avocado skins in there. Everything else became dark moist soil. Very cool!

So Doug is in Montreal from Friday afternoon to Monday evening/afternoon. Sophia has a cold and is apparently teething. She is very needy and clingy. Fiona's saucy. I'm bored and I'm lonely and I hate business trips. Soon we will all be going to Texas, which I'm very excited about, as long as the getting there and back part of it goes smoothly. I just realized that they won't be able to use those trays on the airplane because they'll be in their ginormous Britax car seats. They are really big. They take up a lot of room. I'd check them at the gate, but there is a safety reason for little ones to be in car seats, so I'm tempted to sacrifice convenience for safety. I hope we don't piss off too many people, but there you go.

Next week is our last full week here but Fiona has two days off school for teacher workdays or something. Our parent/teacher conference is Thursday. Fiona's friend Ellie's parents offered to watch Sophia and Fiona so both Doug and I could go. I hope that works out for Sophia! Well, if it doesn't, we'll just bring her, I guess and hope for the best.

We don't seem to have wasps inside (yet?) but Doug has been more active with the wasp poison in the attic this year. I have no idea what I would do without Doug, because I am way too chicken to do this. I can barely GO in the attic.

I got pumpkins for carving but I just have to find the energy to do it. I got ingredients for birthday cake (Sophia turns 2 on Wednesday!) and I suspect it will be a mini version of the wedding cake. No strawberries, though. They are god-awful up here. They are crunchy and half white. Yes, I bought some out of desperation.

1 comment:

Ellen Aim said...

The girls can carve (or you know, we can) pumpkins up here, too, if you prefer. Will you still be here on Halloween?

I bet we have some edible strawberries still!! Farmers Market here I come! (And that's downtown Dallas, so I must like you).