Sunday, July 01, 2007

Gesine

I have wanted to visit Gesine in ages. I either managed to go by when they were closed or I just didn't make it quite that far into Montpelier. Reading back through my blog, I see that I have wanted to visit since August 22, 2005. I can't believe it takes me 2 years to visit a bakery in the next town...a town I visit every single day (well, nearly). I guess I should mention here that I don't usually buy pastries and coffee and such. I can make it all myself (theoretically) and it's just so indulgent.

However, after tasting their chocolate (cocoa?) cookies and their flaky, voluptuously scented apples pies (they sell them every Friday) from a friend, I finally made it down there (and besides, Fiona's summer camp was on the way). While their macaroons (their signature item: maple, mocha, and lemon) are quite good (not coconut; they are the French style almond ones), what I fell in love with are the little things around the store. They have these delightful sunflower seeds that are coated with chocolate and a candy coating. The candy coating is done in these really vibrant appealing colors. They are just way too cute for words. They are just like these. The colors seem a bit different, but you get the idea.

Then, they have the requisite "French soda" (with cream if you like), but in flavors I have never seen before. Jasmine. Apricot. Pomegranate. Lavender. And my favorite, Violet. They seem to encourage you to experiment freely with all these syrup flavors (there are many more) and one of their suggestions is a Sweet Lavender Latte. I ordered one for Doug and I now have a new favorite. I have to say, I am all about floral flavors, although they can be overdone. I realize they aren't for everyone, but there are plenty of other flavors to try.

The staff is also really friendly and helpful (and because of this I bought way more than I intended to on my first trip...I came out with a bag o' pastries and a soda instead of "just a coffee"). I plan to go on a regular basis, as our finances allow, of course.


When Doug and I went to our wine dinner, we had some time to kill at the bookstore, where I finally bought The Omnivore's Dilemma, by Michael Pollan. This is something else I have been meaning to do for ages. I only hope I can finish it before the last Harry Potter book comes out.

If only I could read it and spend the day at Gesine's.

7 comments:

Lone Star Ma said...

Cool!

Triana said...

*writes it down on the To Do list for her next trip to Vermont*!!

MMMM! Looks fantastic!

Ellen Aim said...

Hell I'll go.

I'm toying with the idea of hitting the VT area for Halloween time. D never having been and all. We'd have to fly in, you know, NEAR...but there are trains and whatnot...

Triana said...

They won't let me view the cakes and they're calling me "Tex". I think that's rude. HMPH.

Veloute said...

Well! Me, too! Tex?

I took Annie there and we had one of their box lunches. OMG. Another must have. The veggie chips alone are just so cool.

I tried a jasmine apricot soda which was nice, but I prefer the violet. (Actually, Annie had a violet/cassis one, which is even better).

So who's coming? Ellen, you and D should definitely come for Hallowe'en. That would be so awesome and I will WILL it right now to not rain.

Triana said...

I'm coming! I'm trying to figure out when!

Lone Star Ma said...

I'm jealous.