Sunday, March 04, 2007

Housewife

Doug and I have been watching movies in the evening after the kids go to bed. Lately, we've been watching Full Metal Alchemist, a nice little bit of anime. We (I) like to watch the movie (and they are speaking English) with subtitles. I like to do this because it's pretty quiet and I want to make sure I hear all the words (it's quiet because we don't want to wake up the girls). With this show, what the characters are saying and what the subtitles say aren't always exactly the same. Usually, it's pretty much the same thing, said a different way, or close enough.

Last night, we saw one episode where this one woman character walks into this room full of tough guys. One guy says to her, "who the hell are you?" She says "I'm pissed!". The subtitle, however, says, "I'm a housewife!"

I have this friend, who is also a stay-at-home-mom (SAHM), who never refers to herself as a "housewife": she says she did not marry a house. This is true.

I never know what to write as my occupation on the tax returns. I think I have been mostly writing "Mother". I really want to come up with some sort of smart ass job title, but I am never creative enough.

3 comments:

Lone Star Ma said...

This is a very interesting post. I would love to be home with the kids, but I don't think I would ever consider myself a housewife, either, if I could be. No offense meant to women who like the phrase, but it sort of seems to demean the caretaking role somehow to me.

Triana said...

I've been trying to come up with new job titles for you but failing. We've gone from "Rugrat Wrangler" to "Early Human Development Engineer". I'll keep thinking.

Anonymous said...

I never know what to say either. I don't know whether I should be defensive and say something like, "I'm a human being enjoying life. What are you?" Or maybe I should just not be so touchy about it. LOL

(Do you remember me from a mom's message board from loooong ago? I remember you!)

Kara aka Biscuit aka Popcorn