Thursday, October 15, 2009

5 years!


















Sophia will be five this Sunday. We're driving up to Denton so we can celebrate with her grandparents (on my side). I asked her what kind of cake she wanted (hoping to distract her from her sister rabidly encouraging her to ask for a dragon cake) and she said she wanted the cake I made for her Daddy's birthday. This is excellent. I made an almond meringue cake with chocolate buttercream from The Art of the Cake. She did really get down on that cake. The meringue was a little problematic in August in this armpit-like area, but I think it will work better now, in colder, dryer Denton. It's all relative. Plus, I don't think I'm going to pipe the meringue in. I will next time--gotta hone those piping skillz, after all, but I want this to be nearly perfect, so in order to work faster and lighter, I'm going to just scoop that meringue in those cake pans. It'll be fine.

The birthday girl has lost a second tooth. Yes, it's early. Oh, and by the way, she has completely stopped sucking her thumb. I took her to the pediatrician for boosters and another shot (TX vaccination requirements are different than VT ones). The office was FILLED with hardcore pictures of diseases...of course, the kind of diseases you get if you don't vaccinate. Sigh. She was totally disturbed by these pictures. So the doctor comes in, and all is well. Then she notices that Sophia sucks her thumb. She encourages her not to. All of this has been said and done before by teachers, nurses, other parents, doctors, us, etc. She does not care and I don't blame her. Sucking your thumb is very satisfying when you are 4 (5, 6, 7...). She mentions how you can transfer the germs from your hand to your mouth. Whatev. But THEN she points to the pictures and said you can get THESE diseases. That made a HUGE impression on her. She stopped cold turkey.

This is not a good thing. She would be so worried if her hands got near her mouth. She asked about everything: "Will it give me yucky diseases?" She had no comfort outlet. Anytime she felt unsure or shy or tender or sleepy or anything that wasn't active playing or eating, she sucked her thumb. So we have spent the last month and a half trying to find how to survive when you can't comfort yourself. It has been hard. Fuzzy, her well-loved platypus thing, isn't cutting it. She was letting him go by the wayside before this and he's still on his way out. Although, truthfully, he has today made his way into the car and is waiting for her in her carseat. Her school gave her water out of the tap and she asked me when she got home if she would die now. Oh. My. God.

So, hopefully, this weekend will be good for her. She also had a dentist appointment this week and she would not let them touch her teeth. She DID let them X-ray her teeth, so at least we can see there are no cavities. Just lots of plaque that really needs to be cleaned off. But later. On the doctor and dentist days, I kept her out of school and we just played together. We went to the beach, had lunch with her dad, and just had fun. It's nice to go to the beach in October, by the way. It's snowing back in Vermont (I keep wanting to say "back home") and we are still wearing flip-flops.

I can't believe it's been 5 years. I think she still looks like my little baby, but as you can see, she is really growing into a big girl.

3 comments:

Triana said...

Those cheeks, those eyes! I can't believe it's been 5 years! I'm sure you can't either.

Happy Birthday, Sophia!!

SkylersDad said...

Happy Birthday, and congrats!

Lone Star Ma said...

Even Fiona should not be five yet! Happy Birthday, Sophia!