Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Addendum to Boston and Seneca Falls



I didn't mean to leave you hanging on my mysterious symptom of having an extremely bitter taste after everything I ate. That is now gone and lasted about a week. I am pretty sure this happened because I ate pine nuts. What this article doesn't mention, besides why it happens (because nobody knows), is that, incredibly, the symptoms don't start right away. They can start one to three days after you've eaten them. In my case, salad with toasted pine nuts on a Monday or Tuesday (can't remember), symptoms on Thursday morning. This only happened to me--not to Doug. I don't know if my pine nuts came from China (most do). You can get them from Italy, but it sounds like they are harder to find. There seem to be no other ill effects. This is kind of a bummer, because I love pine nuts. I dislike that taste even more, though, so...I guess I will be looking for Italian pine nuts and see if that makes a difference. I've been eating pine nuts for years and this is the first time I've had anything like this happen!

2 comments:

Triana said...

Ok, this is so WEIRD. I've never had that happen. Now I'm going to be paranoid next time I eat them.

Veloute said...

I haven't been able to try them since. I am planning an experiment, though.