Thursday, February 19, 2009

LICE

Yesterday while working conditioner through my hair (this is how I get out tangles), I found what I thought was a piece of fuzz. Then I realized the fuzz had legs. I found another one.

Fiona was at home since it's a school vacation week, so I checked her head right away. I knew her scalp had been itchy, which is not uncommon in the winter. At first, I didn't see anything. Then. I saw them. Scurrying away from me. I know now these were lice in the nymph stage, which had probably just hatched (although I have found a few adults). I took Sophia out of school right away, and Doug and I proceeded to do lots of combing, vacuuming and laundry. Coats are at the dry cleaner's. It seemed to happen very suddenly. I actually had checked Fiona a few days earlier (and they just had a check at school by the nurse), but didn't see anything.

I only found one adult on Sophia's head and no nits, which means I probably just missed them, I'm thinking. I keep finding nits on Fiona's head. It seems never ending.

Those of you who know me know that I have really, really thick, plentiful hair. I feel like things are crawling all over me. Fiona also (apparently) has very thick hair. Doug doesn't seem to have anything (so far) .

I think before the week is out, I may end up with very short hair. I've already chopped off quite a bit of Fiona's.

Fiona, by the way, is sort of fascinated by the whole thing. I've been just snipping the hairs off her head that have nits (they are incredibly hard to remove and the comb I got at the drugstore is totally worthless...I ordered a better one, which will hopefully come today) and sticking them in a plastic bag to throw away. After a particular round of Find the Nits, she wanted to see them. She said it would be neat to watch them in the bag go through their life cycle. Then she said, we would kill them.

Oh, yeah. Not doing that, by the way. I said, yes, that would be interesting, but we need to throw this away.

What I wanted to say is, honey, I'm sorry, but I need to torch these fuckers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, first of all, I find it totally charming that she's curious and has no fear.

But heh heh, I'm with you--torch 'em!!

Good luck on eradicating these frustrating little guys. I you are free of them soon!

Lone Star Ma said...

I'm so sorry. We've been through this twice now (as Marigold seems much more prone to them - we never got them before she came along) and it completely sucks. My advice:

Don't go overboard on the bagging and cleaning - they really don't like to leave your hair and don't do it too much.

Consider Nix. I know it is bad chemical stuff but it is nowhere near as bad as the (shiver) lindane and malathion - it's actually the stuff you put on the back of your cat's neck for fleas and think how tiny cats are - and it's made from flowers - although, really, it is a potent chemical. It works well, though - and the nits are hard to find. Being sure you got all of them before they reach reproductive security? Well - it's not easy.

Thinking of you. After our bouts with it, I am permanently paranoid - you will probably think you have them for much longer than you do have them.

Ellen Aim said...

I love Fiona's "and then we'll kill them."

Fascination mixed with practicality...awesome.

Jody Reale said...

So sorry. My own Sophia had them last year. I'm not sure I'll ever be the same. (see also: http://www.headlicehandbook.com)